Why Put A Crayon In Your Wallet When Traveling? How Does It Help?
Traveling can be an exciting adventure, but it can also be a source of stress and worry. Whether you’re taking a road trip, flying to a new destination, or embarking on a backpacking trip, it’s important to be prepared for unexpected situations. One unexpected item that some travelers swear by is a crayon in their wallet. But why? And how can a simple crayon help in a pinch?
The answer may surprise you. While it may seem strange to carry around a children’s coloring tool, crayons can actually serve several practical purposes while traveling. From emergency fire starters to makeshift screwdrivers, crayons can be surprisingly versatile. But why specifically a crayon and not something else? Keep reading to find out why a crayon might just become your new travel essential.
The Unconventional Travel Essential
When it comes to traveling, it’s easy to get caught up in packing the essentials like clothing, toiletries, and travel documents. However, there are some unconventional items that seasoned travelers swear by, and a crayon is one of them.
A crayon is a simple and compact tool that can be incredibly versatile while on the road. One of the primary uses for a crayon while traveling is as an emergency fire starter. A crayon’s waxy composition makes it highly flammable, meaning it can easily catch fire when combined with a flame or a spark.
This can be a lifesaver in situations where you need to start a fire for warmth or cooking, and have limited access to other materials. In addition to starting fires, crayons can also be used as a makeshift screwdriver, scraper, or even a splint.
Another reason why a crayon can be an unconventional travel essential is its ability to create a quick and easy writing tool. While most people these days rely on their smartphones to jot down notes or directions, it’s not always practical to have your phone out and in use while traveling. A crayon and a scrap of paper can be a simple and effective way to take down important information or leave messages for fellow travelers.
Plus, if your phone dies or gets lost or stolen, having a backup writing tool can be a real lifesaver. So, while a crayon may seem like an odd item to carry while traveling, it’s clear that it can come in handy in a variety of situations.
The Versatility of Crayons While Traveling
When it comes to packing for a trip, most people don’t think of crayons as a travel essential. However, these small wax-based coloring tools can be incredibly versatile while on the road. Here are some of the ways crayons can come in handy while traveling:
- Emergency fire starter: The waxy composition of a crayon makes it highly flammable, meaning it can be used to start a fire in a pinch.
- Makeshift screwdriver or scraper: The pointed tip of a crayon can be used to tighten screws or remove stickers.
- Waterproof sealant: When melted down, crayons can create a waterproof seal, making them ideal for sealing cracks in tents or boats.
- Writing tool: A crayon can be used to write on a variety of surfaces, including paper, wood, and even some metals.
As you can see, crayons can be surprisingly useful while traveling. Whether you need to start a fire, tighten a screw, or leave a message, a simple crayon can be a lifesaver in a variety of situations. So next time you’re packing for a trip, consider adding a crayon or two to your travel kit.
Emergency Fire Starter: A Surprising Use for Crayons
One surprising use for crayons while traveling is as an emergency fire starter. Thanks to their waxy composition, crayons can be highly flammable and easily catch fire when combined with a flame or spark. This makes them an ideal tool for starting a fire in a survival situation or if you need to cook food or stay warm. Here are some of the ways you can use a crayon as an emergency fire starter:
- Gather dry kindling, such as twigs or leaves.
- Use a knife or scissors to scrape off some of the wax from the crayon.
- Place the wax shavings on top of the kindling.
- Use a lighter or matches to ignite the wax shavings.
- Once the kindling catches fire, add larger sticks and logs to keep the fire burning.
As you can see, a crayon can be a handy tool to have in a survival situation or when you need to start a fire quickly. Just be sure to exercise caution and follow proper fire safety procedures.
MacGyver-Approved: Crayons as MakeShift Tools
When it comes to improvising tools and gadgets, MacGyver is the gold standard. And if the resourceful TV character were a traveler, he would no doubt have a crayon or two in his backpack. Crayons can be used as makeshift tools in a variety of situations, and their compact size makes them an ideal addition to any travel toolkit. Here are some ways you can use crayons as makeshift tools while traveling:
- Screwdriver: The pointed tip of a crayon can be used to tighten or loosen screws, or even open cans.
- Wax seal: If you have a cracked container or water bottle, melting down a crayon and using it as a wax seal can help prevent leaks.
- Splint: If you or someone in your group gets a minor injury, a crayon can be used as a makeshift splint or brace.
- Zipper lubricant: If your backpack or jacket zipper gets stuck, rubbing a crayon on the teeth can help lubricate them and get them moving again.
As you can see, there are a variety of ways you can use a crayon as a makeshift tool while traveling. With a little creativity and ingenuity, a simple wax-based coloring tool can be transformed into a lifesaver in a variety of situations.
Why a Crayon Specifically? The Benefits of Wax-Based Coloring Tools
You may be wondering why a crayon specifically is recommended for travel purposes. While other wax-based coloring tools such as candles or beeswax could be used, crayons have some unique benefits that make them ideal for travel:
- Compact size: Crayons are small and lightweight, making them easy to carry in a pocket or wallet without taking up much space.
- Variety of colors: Unlike candles or beeswax, crayons come in a variety of colors, which can be useful for marking items or leaving messages in a variety of settings.
- Non-toxic: Most crayons are non-toxic and safe for children to use. This means they can be handled and carried around without posing a risk to your health.
- Waxy composition: The waxy composition of crayons makes them highly flammable and waterproof, which can be useful in emergency situations.
Crayons are a practical and versatile option for travel, thanks to their compact size, variety of colors, and waxy composition. Whether you need to start a fire, leave a message, or tighten a screw, a crayon can be a surprisingly useful tool to have on hand.
Packing for Your Next Adventure: Adding a Crayon to Your Travel Kit
When packing for your next adventure, it’s worth considering adding a crayon to your travel kit. But how exactly do you pack a crayon for travel? Fortunately, crayons are small and lightweight, making them easy to carry in a variety of ways. One simple method is to slip a crayon into a slot in your wallet, so it’s always with you and doesn’t take up much space.
Alternatively, you can pack a crayon in a small bag or pouch and toss it in your backpack or purse. To ensure your crayon stays dry and usable, it’s a good idea to store it in a waterproof container or plastic bag.
When it comes to selecting which crayon to pack, it’s worth considering bringing a few different colors. This can come in handy for marking items or leaving messages in a variety of settings. Plus, with their waxy composition, crayons can be highly flammable and waterproof, making them an ideal tool for emergency situations. Overall, adding a simple crayon to your travel kit may just come in handy when you least expect it.